As stated in the document of the European Commission " Regions 2020 : An assessment of future challenges for EU regions ," one of the greatest challenges that is facing the EU, and especially the countries of SUDOE, is the phenomenon of globalization. The vulnerability is attributed to the development of low value-added activities.
This phenomenon implies an increase of opportunities for those sectors, institutions or regions better prepared, nevertheless, it will be a big problem for those less prepared, with low value-added activities, who will have important problems of competitiveness.
The ceramic tile sector is a traditional one in the SUDOE area, currently exposed to global competition, powered by the current housing crisis, and the resulting decrease in the construction sector.
Therefore, the main objective of the project is to encourage and promote the use of ceramics in urban areas through joint actions of ceramic clusters in SUDOE area, impregnating the ceramic with sophistication by integrating technology.
Other objectives are to create products, methodologies and innovative services with high added value, which could be immediately transferred to the rest of the industrial sector. These services put together Competitive Intelligence studies and strategic analysis methodologies, searching as a result an efficient innovation, targeting the tastes and needs of the users and the social and technological trends.
To achieve this main goal it is necessary to get some intermediate objectives:
- To approach the responsible for ceramic prescription in the urban space and to know his needs. Provide him with strategic technical information and incentivize the purchase of ceramic tiles.
- To integrate technology in ceramics to produce innovative systems. Provide this way a product with high added value, where the technical quality of the ceramic comes closer to technology.
- To promote R & D and new uses in ceramic companies ( 90 % SMEs).
- To disseminate effectively the project results in order to reach all actors involved in the process.
- To separate ceramics from the competition of emerging markets. Provide ceramic tiles in the SUDOE area an image of quality and technology, far from a price range market, typical of emerging countries.